A once in a while dish that is best suit cold days. A mix of vegetables and lamb to produce two components; one being a soup or broth and the other a paste made with the ingredients that the meat is cooked with. This is a delicious meal even though appearance wise it might not be too pleasing to the eye. But once you have taken a sip of the soup and a bite of the pureed meat, you will see why every Iranian loves ab-goosht.
Step by Step method
- Wash and pat dry meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rough chop onions and place in a heavy pot.
- Add meat on top.
- Make a hole in the Persian Limes and add to the pot along with the beans.
- Add turmeric, cinnamon, and 9 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on medium for 2 hours.
- During this time make sure to check the pot and get rid of impurities that might apear.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add fresh tomatoes and potatoes. Adjust seasoning.
- You will need a good amount of salt due to the beans and potatoes.
- Cover and cook everything for another hour.
- Once done, place a colander over a bowl.
- Remove meat and place in colander.
- Separate meat from the bones and discard bones.
- Some like to remove the morrow from the bones and add it to the soup or meat. it is up to you if you want to do that or not!
- Empty the content of the pot in the colander.
- Return the broth to the pot and adjust seasoning if needed.
- With the meat masher mash meat, beans, potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- The mashed meat and soup are served separately.
- The soup is eaten first. To kick up the soup a notch many put a few pieces of Persian bread in it. It’s simply divine!