An Authintic Syrian Pumpkin stew with cheackpeas and meat. Its' name in syria is ( "Abu basti" eat and become happy). So try it and make everyone around you happy!
- The meat :
- The Stew:
Step by Step method
- Cover the meat with water in a saucepan. bring to a boil over high heat.
- Get rid of all Impurities at the top of the broth.
- Add bouquet garni, and chickpeas.
- Cook until meat is almost tender.
- Get rid of the bouquet garni.
- Saute onion with clarified butter over medium heat until its blond.
- Add tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomato and stir.
- Add pumpkin and stir.
- Pour meat, chickpeas and the broth.
- Add garlic, mint, tamarind, red chili pepper, and salt.
- simmer for 15 minutes.
- taste and adjust salt and spices.
- serve with cooked groats.
Tips & variations
put all the bouquet garni ingredients in a cloth and close it well to make it easier when you collect it from the meat broth.
to prepare tamarind juice, soak tamarind in hot water and stir, then drain to use,