A delicious dish prepared à la Medieval Baghdadi cooking. Prunes can be substituted for figs. Skin is to be left on chicken for maximum flavor and for protection while cooking. Feel free to remove it before serving the dish.
Step by Step method
- Sprinkle drumsticks with salt and pepper and brown on both sides in heated oil in a big non-stick skillet, about 12 minutes.
- Remove drumsticks from skillet and arrange in a single layer in an ovenproof glass pan, about 7 x 12-inches (18x30.5 cm).
- To the remaining oil in the skillet, saute onion until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and figs, and stir for a minute.
- Add tomato sauce, broth or water, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a quick boil, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Pour onion mixture all over the drumsticks.
- Preheat oven 400°F/ 200°C/ gas mark 6.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender, and sauce is nicely thickened.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with white rice.