Asure is a special dessert cooked within Asure month in Turkey. It is cooked for blessing the survival of Noah’s ship. That’s why it contains lots of ingredients. Traditionally, it is prepared with 41 different kinds of ingredients. You can add any kind of fruit, grains, nuts or even starch, cacao powder or any spices. But these kinds should be added in a very very small amounts. The variety of food is important, not the amount.
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
One day Before: Soak 1 cup of barley whole wheat in 3 cups of water the night before. This will allow the barley to soften.
- Drain the soaked barley, pour into a deep cooking pot fill with 8-10 cups of cold water leaving about 2-3 inches of the top.
- At this time add in, a small pinch of salt, the cloves and cinnamon sticks. (the cinnamon sticks will be removed before serving.)
- Bring the pot to boil over a medium-high heat.
- Cook for 20 – 25 minutes. The barley will have cracked open and have become white and soft to touch and taste.
- In the mean time, boil the black currants with a cup of cold water in a saucepan. Once the color of the water turns dark, drain the currants through a sieve.
- Once the barley has softened, add in the washed chick peas and kidney beans and stir.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (the drained currants, raisins, cranberries, apricots, figs, dry coconut, almonds and pine nuts). stirring each time you add in an ingredient.
- Let this mixture boil for 8-10 minutes.
- In the mean time, dissolve 4 tablespoons of corn starch in a cup of cold water, leaving no lumps.
- Add the corn starch into the boiling barley mixture and give it a thoroughly stir. (the corn starch will act as a thickening agent).
- Add in 2 cups of sugar and stir thoroughly, continue cooking over medium heat and allow the sugar to dissolve.
- With a spoon, taste the Asure and if it is not sweet for your taste, then add in the 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Finally add in the lemon (or orange) zest, and rose water. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, ladle into serving bowls. Top with cinnamon, nuts and dry fruit.
- It's time to taste, enjoy and photo shooting your art... Don't forget to show share it with us!
Tips & variations
Asure can be served warm, at room temperature or cold.
After it comes to room temperature, you can store it in the fridge in a vacuumed storage box for about a week.
The nutrition facts are for the whole quantity and to be divided on the number of bowls you decide to serve it in