Chicken Bastilla is a Morocco's famous rendition of a savory pie, and it simply doesn't get better than this. The chicken is cooked with saffron, ginger, pepper and cinnamon, then layered within crispy phyllo sheets. Check out this utterly amazing fusion of flavors and textures that you will absolutely love it.
1. Get all the ingredients ready.
2. Chop onion and parsley.
3. Preheat the oven to 205 °C.
4. Spread almonds in one layer on a shallow baking pan.
5. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
6. Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot. Braise the chicken pieces on all sides for a few minutes, then remove.
7. Add the onions with the spices — ginger, cinnamon, saffron.
8. Return the chicken to the pot, add 1/2 cup chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper, cover and gently simmer over low heat for about an hour.
9. Remove the chicken.
10. Reduce the chicken sauce until there is almost no liquid remaining
11. Add the eggs to the sauce and stir constantly on low heat until you have a creamy consistency. Then remove.
12. Remove the meat from the bones and shred it with your fingers.
13. Take a round cake mold (or tart ring) and brush it with melted butter.
14. Thaw completely the frozen phyllo in the refrigerator for 24 hours and bring to room temperature before using it. The dough can be gummy if thawed too quickly outside the refrigerator.
15. Make sure that the hands are dry when handling the phyllo dough.
16. Cut the Phyllo sheets with a pair of scissors in half. Warp one half well with plastic wrap and then into a zip-style plastic bag.
17. Lay one phyllo sheet on a flat surface and brush with clarified butter Line.
18. Fold it in half and brush the two sides.
19. Use a sharp knife to cut off a 2 - 3 inch wide strip of phyllo dough from one end.
20. Line a baking sheet with silicone liner or parchment paper and place a buttered ring on top.
21. Lay one strip of the phyllo on a tart ring, repeat the process 3 to 6 times, each time laying the strips at different rotation points.
22. Any remaining phyllo should be wrapped carefully and placed in the fridge for use in another recipe.
23. To serve, turn the pastilla out onto a plate and dust with icing sugar and cinnamon. Serve with a green salad.