Sticky, glazed and delicious, this BBQ chicken is an absolute showstopper
- For the rub:
- For the BBQ sauce:
Step by Step method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
rub and cook the Chicken:
- Bash all of the ingredients in a pestle and mortar until fine.
- Massage the rub all over the chicken, then place into a low-sided roasting tray.
- Place in the hot oven for around 1 hour, or until cooked through.
Make the BBQ sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan over a high heat.
- Whisk well to combine, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it's sticky and coats the back of a spoon.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and reduce the temperature to 110°C/225°F/gas ¼.
- Take a piece of chicken and dunk it into the BBQ sauce.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to a wire baking rack placed over a roasting tray (this will help the smoke to permeate the chicken as it cooks).
- Place each piece of chicken into the BBQ sauce, placing them onto the baking rack as you go.
- Return to the middle shelf of the oven for around 10 minutes, or until turning lovely and sticky.
- Meanwhile, place the wood chips into an old wire sieve (the sieve will help the smoke to distribute evenly around the oven) and carefully light with a match or over a gas hob.
- Place the sieve into another roasting tray and pop in the bottom of the oven – this will add an incredible dimension of smokiness to the chicken.
- After around 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and dip each piece into the BBQ sauce once more.
- Return it to the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until sticky, glazed and delicious.
- Serve with sliced chilli scattered on top.