Cauliflower lightens up these herby, falafel-inspired burgers! They’re great in between hamburger buns or on salads. These burgers are egg-free, vegan and gluten free. Check out this twisted Mediterranean recipe that you will absolutely love it.
1. To cook the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander, then combine with 2/3 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to boil, then cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let the quinoa steam with the lid on for 5 minutes. Then drain off any excess water and set aside to cool.
2. To prepare the cauliflower: Transfer the cauliflower florets to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until they resemble a couscous-like texture, about 15 pulses. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Keep the food processor bowl handy because you’ll use it again soon.
3. To the mixing bowl, add your cooked quinoa, chickpeas, green onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt, cinnamon and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Use a potato masher or the paddle attachment of your mixer to mix really well. You need to mash up those chickpeas so the burgers hold together.
4. Grind the oats: Use a food processor or blender to grind the oats until the flakes are broken up, but not as fine as flour.
5. Mix in the oats: Sprinkle the ground oats over the mixture and mix well with a big spoon until the mixture holds together when you shape a portion into a patty. If the mixture is still too dry to shape into patties, mash it until it does. If you have time, cover and refrigerate the mixture for best results (the patties will hold together better during cooking if they are chilled first).
6. Shape the burgers: Use a measuring cup to measure out ½ cup of the mixture. Gently shape it into a patty about 3½ inches in diameter. Use your hands to gently flatten the burgers and smooth out any jagged edges. Repeat the process for each patty; you should end up with seven.
7. Pan fry the burgers: Heat 11/2 tablespoons oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. When it's hot, place several burgers in the pan, leaving enough room to flip them. Cover and cook until the patties are golden brown on the underside, about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip, add a splash more oil, cover again and repeat with the other side. Add at least 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet for each pan of burgers you fry.
8. Transfer cooked burgers to a plate to cool. Serve as burgers or on salad.