Dates with eggs is not the typical Yemeni dish one might run into in a Shaibani or a Hadramout restaurant, but it’s a favorite of those who have tried it. Very few families make it regularly as it is usually served as a specialty breakfast for mothers who have recently given birth. it is a rich dish believed to provide breast-feeding mothers with nutrients they can pass on to their developing babies.
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
- Heat a frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt completely.
- Add the dates, smash them with a wooden spoon until they make a soft purée.
- Make a hole in the center of the puree and add the eggs. You can either whisk the eggs in a separate dish then pour it into the center or break the eggs directly into the dish.
- Cook until eggs reach the level of cooking you desire.
- Season with salt, pepper, cardamom and nutmeg as desired. Enjoy.