This Egg Drop soup is born from a love of the soup. The soup is finished by adding a thin stream of beaten eggs to the boiling broth in the final moments of cooking, creating thin, silken strands or flakes of cooked egg that float in the soup.
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in soup pot.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix.
3. Combine water and cornstarch; stir into boiling broth.
4. Stir a small amount of hot broth into slightly beaten egg. Add egg mixture into hot broth slowly, stirring all the time. Cook until clear and slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
5. Garnish with scallion, and serve with toasted French bread slices.