Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread, similar in style and texture to pizza dough. It may be topped with herbs or other ingredients. Check out this mouthwatering recipe of Focaccia sandwich with Mediterranean vegetables and mozzarella that will blow your mind away!
1. Heat a griddle pan or nonstick frying pan and griddle the eggplant, zucchinis and red onion for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Leave to cool.
2. Griddle or grill the peppers on the skin side until the skin is blistered and blackened. Place them in a polythene bag until cool, then peel off the skin and cut the flesh into wide strips.
3. Split the Focaccia in half and place on the griddle or under a grill to toast lightly. Rub the cut garlic edges all over the toasted bread. Place the sliced mozzarella on the base of the toasted Focaccia.
4. Evenly layer the griddle vegetables on top of the mozzarella. Start with the eggplant and then add the zucchinis, peppers, onion and arugula. Season each layer with salt and pepper as you arrange it.
5. Finally, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and place the top of the Focaccia bread on top of the vegetables. Push together gently but firmly. Cut into 4 even- sized pieces and serve.
Focaccia can be used as a side to many meals, as a base for pizza, or as sandwich bread.