In the Arabic cuisine, cheese with bread is frequently served at meals. Try out this oven-fried cheese recipe which is served with lemon wedges and pita triangles. You can easily vary the recipe to suit your taste buds by adding tomatoes or other vegetables, or vary the cheese by using a traditional white cheese, instead of crumbled feta.
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place the cheese, flour, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well with very clean hands. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. If the mixture seems too loose to hold its shape, add a little more flour. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit of lemon juice, vinegar, or water.
3. Pour 2 or 3 Tablespoons olive oil onto a cookie sheet to grease. Arrange the cheese balls on cookie sheet, rolling them around to coat thoroughly with the oil. Bake 5 minutes at 400°.
4. Wearing an oven mitt, shake the baking sheet to turn the cheese balls, and bake 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
5. With a spatula, transfer the cheese balls to a paper towel.
6. Serve the cheese balls while still warm, with lemon wedges and triangles of pita bread.