Check out this amazing Palestinian recipe of Helba or Fenugreek Seeds that will melt your heart away! These small brown seeds which have a pleasing flavor with a bitter undertone and a strong aroma reminiscent of curry powder. Fenugreek seeds are mostly used toasted, which enhances their acrid taste. Due to their powerful flavor, they are used in small amounts.
1. To prepare syrup, dissolves sugar in water, placed in a pot on medium heat, bring to boil for 8 minutes, add lemon juice, and let boil for 2 additional minute, remove from heat and Set aside to cool.
2. Wash Helba, put in sauce pan, add 1 cup hot water and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce and simmer for 10minte. Don’t throw the water away.
3. In a bowl, mix dough ingredients together, including yeast, add oil and Helba, mix well to combine by rubbing the mixture with your hands.
4. Add Helba water gradually, until you get cohesive dough. (Make sure the dough is not dry and not very sticky).
5. Transfer dough to a greased round 15inch baking tray. Press to fill the tray. Level with palm of your hand. Cut into diamond shaped pieces. Cover and leave to rest in warm place for at least 1 hour.
6. Bake Helba in medium 200C preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or till golden.
7. Take out of the oven and pour syrup all over and leave aside to absorb all syrup. Cut and serve.