Jiāng zhī zhuàng nǎi (姜汁撞奶) - Ginger Milk Pudding is softly set, not overwhelmingly creamy or sweet, and the ginger adds a little spice and zing to balance the sweetness. The best part about this recipe is you don’t have to plan ahead because you can usually find these simple ingredients at home!
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
- Clean and remove the skin from the ginger, grate, and squeeze the juice out with your hands.
- Divide 15 ml into each cup
- Bring the milk and sugar to a boil over medium heat
- After a few minutes, the ginger juice will separate into a yellow liquid and white powdery sediment, make sure to MIX it before adding the milk because it helps with setting the milk.
- Bring the milk and sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly to avoid burning and remove from heat immediately once it bubbles.
- Lower the temperature of the milk back to around 80C by pouring back and forth between two pots approximately 11 times.
- Place your palm against the secondary cup if its hot but still comfortable to keep your palm there for a few seconds. then its cool enough.
- Immediately pour the milk in one fluid motion into each cup, don’t double pour.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes or until set.
- Gently shake to see if it has set to a very loose consistency (even softer than tofu pudding).
- The ultimate test is to place a spoon on top and if it stays up, it is ready! If it’s not ready, let it sit for 5 more minutes.
- Enjoy this dessert right away or put it in the fridge to be enjoyed later.
Tips & variations
If you like ginger, feel free to add more but no less or it won’t be set.
whole milk is easier to set and gives a creamier consistency than skimmed milk.
DO NOT mix, shake, or move the pudding after pouring in the milk or it won’t set properly
Don’t leave the pudding out on the counter for too long or water will come out, enjoy it immediately or store it in the fridge.