Karnıyarık is a Turkish dish consisting of eggplant stuffed with a mix of sautéed chopped onions, garlic, black pepper, tomatoes, parsley and ground meat. Served with Sehriyeli Pilav or Bulgur Pilav
- The meat mix:
- For garnish:
- Tomato sauce:
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
- Wash eggplants, cut the end of the stems to give them better shape.
- Peel eggplants in 1 1/2cm wide stipes.
- Soak eggplants in salted water for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile Prepare minced meat:
- In a pan, saute onion with oil over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Meat and saute until done.
- Add garlic and stir.
- Add green pepper and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, stir and cover to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and mix. Set aside.
- Move eggplants into a strainer to drain well.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- when the oil is hot enough, fry eggplants on both sides.
- Move fried eggplants into a kitchen towel to absorb all the extra oil.
- Heat oven on 200 C (392F).
- In a bowl, add tomato paste, pepper paste, salt, pepper and 2 cups of hot water.
- Mix well until you have a smooth sauce.
- Place aggplants in a pyrex, the nicer shap on top.
- With a knife open eggplants and press from center toword edges. ( we are not removing the pulp here, we are just making a space for the meat).
- Stuff with 2 tablespoons of meat.
- Garnish each eggplant with a slice of tomato and a strip of green pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce over each eggplant.
- Pour the remaining sauce into the bakeware.
- Place eggplants in the preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with Sehriyeli Pilav or Bulgur Pilav.
- Take photos, taste and share your experience with us!
Tips & variations
see the attached albums to see the steps of preparing Karnıyarık
you can share this recipe with friends and save it to your device and prepare it at any time.
If the ingredients are not available yet, bookmark this recipe and try it as soon as you can, meanwhile browse the other recipes for today's lunch!