The traditional german potato croquettes can be paired with steak, roast beef, or any other meat dish.
Step by Step method
- Scrub or wash potatoes.
- Boil in salty water in their skins until fork tender.
- Drain water, and peel potatoes.
- Press through the potato ricer into a bowl while still hot. Let cool.
- Separate egg carefully, add 1 egg yolk and the butter in flakes to the potatoes as well as the flour, the salt and the nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg white in a separate bowl, add the bread crumbs into a second bowl and set aside.
- Knead the dough quickly with your hands.
- Make golf size balls then shape into cylindrical form.
- Place the croquettes into the whisked egg white and coat on all sides, then place them into the bread crumbs by gently pressing.
- Pre-heat a deep fryer or a large skillet 0.5 - 1 inch high with oil to medium-high or 180° C/ 356° F.
- Drop a few bread crumbs inside the oil if not using a deep fryer, if oil sizzles around bread crumbs then the oil is hot enough.
- Adjust heat down to medium or medium-low if croquettes are browning too quickly.
- Turn croquettes occasionally and fry until golden brown.
- Bon appetit!