The most famous dessert in middle east and the whole world! It is served at all social occasions and everyone just in love with Konafah!
- Sugar syrup
Step by Step method
One day before:
Slice the akkawi cheese into thick slabs. cover with water to soak overnight in the refrigerator to desalt the cheese. Change the water several times the first day.
- Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring to boil, add lemon juice and boil over medium-low heat for 12 minutes. Once syrup has begun to boil, do not stir again, as this makes the syrup cloudy.
- Add blossom water, boil 30 seconds longer. When cool, the consistency should be similar to thin honey.
- Put the dough in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Pour clarified butter over the dough.
- Stir using fingers and a spoon for 15 minutes.
- Take a handful of the dough, then open your hand, if the dough crumbled, then it is ready to bake.
- Grease an oven tray with some clarified butter.
- Lay the dough into the tray making a 1 cm layer, keeping a small portion aside (enough to make a thin layer).
- Put the tray over medium heat and continously turn it around until the bottom of the dough becomes golden and crispy.
- Place cheese slices over the dough.
- Cover the cheese with the remaining dough.
- Cover the tray with a larger tray and flip them upside down.
- Remove the upper tray (the thick dough is now on the top).
- Put the tray over medium heat and continously turn it around for 15 minutes.
- Pour syrup over,garnish with pistachio ,cut into squares and enjoy the taste !
Tips & variations
You can garnish with other nuts like Cashew, pine nut, and almond
You can also add some nuts over the cheese
Akkawi cheese is a mild, slightly salty cheese that holds its shape when baked. you can replace it with Ricotta cheese
To have the famous orange color of Konafah, add food coloring to the clarified butter when greasing the tray
To reduce time and effort you can bake the Konafah for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350° F (190° C).