Kung Pao Chicken or 宫保鸡丁is almost inarguably one of the most famous Chinese dishes, the fiery yet delicate flavours and the contrasting textures of the crunchy nuts mingling with the tender chicken cubes make the dish irresistible.
- For the marinade:
- For the sauce:
Step by Step method
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade above and marinate the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok.
- Once hot, turn the heat to low and gently place the peanuts into the wok, stir-frying around briskly.
- Once you see the peanuts turn into brown, remove from oil and drain.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a separate bowl.
- Do a taste test, add more sugar or soy sauce depending on your preferences.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in your wok again.
- Once hot, turn heat to medium and add the dried chilli peppers and fry until aromatic. You should be able to smell the spiciness in the air!
- add in the minced ginger, garlic and the white portions of the green onions.
- Turn heat to medium-low and saute until fragrant as well.
- Add the marinated chicken cubes into the wok and turn heat to medium-high, stir-frying briskly to coat the chicken cubes in the aromatic oil. Do this for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the previously fried peanuts.
- Turn heat to high. Stir to mix well.
- Finally, add in the prepared sauce and stir-fry to coat the chicken cubes well. Serve hot.