Unleash your senses and enjoy the taste of this amazing Saudi recipe which called Kuzi. Big balls of dough stuffed with tasty ingredients of meat, rice and green peas. Trust me the taste is so irresistible story.
1. To make the dough: mix all its ingredients in a bowl then add water gradually until you get a firm dough. Leave it to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into palm-sized balls. Roll the balls with the rolling pin and use a bit of flour so that the dough doesn’t stick. Roll until each ball is a thin circular sheet.
3. To prepare the filling: place the meat in a pressure cooker and sauté it in oil on medium heat until its color changes. Add cardamom, black pepper, allspice and some salt. Then add 3 cups of water and leave it to simmer on medium heat.
4. When the water boils, close and pressurize the cooker, and leave it on low heat for 15 minutes till the meat is done. Remove the meat, set aside and save the meat broth for later use.
5. To prepare the rice: pour the meat broth into a pot and put it on medium heat. When the broth starts to boil, add the rice, salt and turmeric. If there isn’t enough broth, add water until the rice is covered. Cover the pot and leave it on low heat until the rice is done.
6. To make the Kuzi: place each of the dough sheets on the bottom of a small soup bowl and place a small amount of fried almonds in the middle of the dough, with 2 or 3 pieces of meat (depending on the size of the dough).
7. Add 1 tablespoon of boiled green peas and then add rice to fill the soup bowl. Close the edges of the dough together to form a ball.
8. Place the kuzi balls in an oven tray with the side of the closed edges toward the bottom.
9. Bake in an oven preheated at 180 degrees, until golden and done.
it's recommended to serve this dish hot with plain yogurt or with Ritta sauce (yogurt and cucumber)
You can use ready made dough instead of this one.