Lokma is Turkish fried sweet dough that is made of deep fried dough soaked in syrup, chocolate sauce or honey, with cinnamon and sometimes sprinkled with sesame. Check out this interesting Levant recipe that you will absolutely love it.
1. In a measuring cup, add yeast and sugar to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast water and stir with oiled wooden spoon until a dough-like consistency form.
3. Cover and place in warm area and allow rising for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled.
4. Preheat vegetable oil to 375 F (190 C).
5. Spoon dough by the tablespoon into vegetable oil and allow cooking for about 2 minutes each side, until each side is a golden brown color.
6. Repeat with remaining dough. Drain on paper towels.
For the syrup:
- About 20 minutes prior to frying the dough, make the syrup. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved on medium heat. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes, until it become a syrup consistency. Do not stir frequently because the sugar will make the syrup cloudy.
- Drizzle syrup over fried dough and serve immediately.