traditional dish in palestine that is most suitable to be served in cold weather, it gives warmth and energy. main ingredients are MAftoul, Chicken, chickpeas, and Onion for sure... cook , taste and enjoy!
- Stew Ingredients:
- Maftoul Ingredients:
Step by Step method
- In a large pot, sauté chicken with olive oil for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add cumin, salt, turmeric, and allspices.
- Cover chicken completely with water and leave it until it’s partially cooked for about half an hour.
- Add onions and chickpeas to the partially cooked chicken and leave it for another20 to 30 minutes until it’s all cooked.
- cooking process can be done using one of two methods, both of them require a steamer or a heat-proof colander pot (which is a special kind of pot comes with holes, placed over a normal pot) where maftoul will be cooked by the steam not direct heat. Two methods are:
- Cooking maftoul by the steam of chicken stew: Place maftoul in the the colander and put it over boiling chicken stew pot while it’s still over heat.
- Cooking maftoul by the steam of boiling water: If the colander you have is small and does not match with the size of chicken stew pot, place it over any other size compatible pot after filling it with boiling water.
- Make a small hole in the maftoul, add onion, cumin, salt.
- Close the hole (as if you’re burying onion and spices inside maftoul).
- Cover the colander by a lid and leave it to be cooked by the raising steam for about 15 minutes until a lot of steam is rising from maftoul colander.
- pour in a seriving platter, and add 1 cup of stew, olive oil, and stir well
- Pour stew in a serving bowl and serve hot.