Check out this simple Mediterranean rice dish which is a standard accompaniment to Gulf meals. This rice dish may either be made white or yellow by adding 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric for color; it’s also good with a cube of chicken stock added to the water to create a distinct flavor.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Pick over rice and wash gently with cold water until water runs clear. Drain.
3. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot, add rice and salt and return to the boil, stirring occasionally to keep the grains separate. Boil for 8 minutes, the strain in a large sieve.
4. Heat ghee or butter in a heavy pan and add onion. Fry gently until transparent, increase heat and fry until crisp and light colored.
5. Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking pan. Add half the onion to the pan and add strained rice on top and toss with a fork to mix onion through rice. Sprinkle the rest of the onion on top of rice. Cover well with aluminum foil and place in oven until done. (If you feel the rice needs more moisture add sprinkles of water to the dish and place back in the oven until done) Approximately 15 minutes.
6. Fluff up with a fork and serve piledon a platter.
You may also add some homemade stock with pine nuts when the onion is almost cooked.
To keep your eyes from stinging and watering while cutting onions, trying popping the onion in the freezer for 15 minutes before you plan to start cooking. Chilling the onion slows the release of the enzyme responsible for teary eyes.