Think outside the box, and add aromatic nutty rice dish to your table. Check out this oriental nutty rice recipe that you will absolutely love it. This dish is a great accompaniment to any spiced lamb or chicken dish, or any grilled or barbecue fish or meats. It also goes well with other vegetarian dishes.
1. Peel and finely slice the onion, and peel and crush the garlic; grate the rind of 1 orange and squeeze the juice and cut the other orange into wedges.
2. Melt the butter in a deep pan or wok, preferably non-stick, sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes; then add the cinnamon stick and the rice, cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the rice is thoroughly coated with the butter and mixed in with the onions and garlic.
3. Add the orange rind and juice, the bay leaves and sultanas to the rice.
4. Stir the turmeric into the stock, then add the stock to the mixture, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep hot; covering the bowl with foil will suffice.
6. Clean the pan or wok (if you are using a non-stick pan or wok, all you need to do is to wipe it clean with paper toweling), add oil and heat through, then add the nuts and sauté for 1 minute, or until they are lightly toasted.
7. Serve the rice garnished with orange wedges, coriander sprigs and pistachios.
Sultanas: Is a small, pale golden-green grape originating in Turkey. Originally used to make wine, its primary use today is for raisins. Sultanas are more popular in Europe, and the American variety of the sultana grape is the Thompson seedless.
You can add a rich golden color and delicious aroma to this dish, replace the turmeric with saffron strands soaked in hot water.