Cabbage leaves stuffed with rice and meat and cooked in a garlic - lemon stock. Although making cabbage rolls takes a bit more time, it's worth every minute. Try this recipe and share it with your beloveds.
- Preparing Cabbage
Step by Step method
Preparing the Cabbage:
- Wash cabbage and trim its stem.
- Fill a half of a large pot (larger than the cabbage) with water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the Cabbage (stem - side down). Turn the heat down to low.
- The Goal is to loosen cabbage leaves with heat, and to be able to take them off one after another.
- Check every minute or so to see if you can take some off. Do not let the leaves cook, you just want them to loosen up and strip them off.
- When all cabbage leaves are stripped, blench them for a couple of minutes in a boiling water until they are tender and rollable.
- Drain and rinse with very cold water, set aside.
- In a bowl, soak rice with boiling water. set aside for 7 minutes.
- Wash rice in cold water and drain.
- Add meat, clarified butter, salt, and spices to the rice and mix well using your hands.
- Cut the large leaves in half or more.
- Discard the ribs.
- Take one cabbage leaf and spread it on a tray with rough side up.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoon of stuffing to the leaf in a parallel line with the leaf ribs.
- leave about one inch margine of both sides.
- Roll the leaf tightly and put it aside.
- Repeat of all remaining leaves.
- Arrange potatoes at the bottom of a pot.
- Arrange some of the ribs.
- Arrange rolls over and sprinkle garlic cloves betwen layers.
- Cover with water and add cumin, salt and pepper.
- press the rolls with a plate ( a little bit smaller than the pot).
- Bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to medium - low and simmer.
- Check if done after 30 - 45 minutes.
- Add lemon 15 minutes before cabbage is done.
- Serve hot.