There are many other optional ingredients that flatbreads may contain, such as curry powder, diced jalapenos, chili powder, or black pepper. Olive oil or sesame oil may be added as well. Flatbreads can range from one millimeter to a few centimeters thick. Check out this Levant recipe of olive flatbread that you will absolutely love it.
1. Make the spice mixture by mixing all of the seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Place the flour, sugar, salt, pepper and olives in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the olive oil and stir well with a fork. Add the water and continue to stir until a ball forms. Sprinkle a work surface generously with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface. Knead until the dough is velvety smooth, about 2 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Take the dough from the refrigerator and flatten into a disk on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out as thinly as possible into an oval. Roll the dough onto the pin and transfer it to a baking sheet that has been brushed with olive oil.
5. Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Place the pan in the oven until the bread is crisp and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool, and break into pieces. The flatbread can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped in plastic wrap, and kept in a dry place.