Get rid of the fork and the knife, and prepare your hands to get dirty... you're going to eat musakhan!
Roasted chicken baked with onions, sumac, allspice,saffron, and fried pine nuts served over taboon bread. can you resist?!
- For the Chicken:
- The onion mix:
- Taboon bread.
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
Prepare the bread dough:
- Add all the dry ingredient in a large bowl. Mix.
- knead with warm water, add enough water to make the dough soft and consistent.
- Cover, and keep it in a warm place to double in size.
- Meanwhile, cut every chicken into 4 pieces.
- Rub the pieces with flour, salt, or lemon and wash them with water. Drain.
- Place in a baking try.
- Add onion, salt, black pepper, sumac, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Mix all together. Set aside for 30-45 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
Back to the dough:
- Cut the dough into balls. (make it the size you desire).
- Place the balls on a floured tray.
- Cover with a kitchen cloth to rest a little bit.
The Onion Mix:
- Over a high heat, saute onion with olive oil.
- Turn down the heat and cook until tender. stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add salt, black pepper, cumin and mix.
- Turn off the heat when done. Set aside.
Back to the dough:
- Place the Saj (or a rounded bottom wok (placed the bottom side on the top) over a high heat.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough balls forming a round shape and bake over the hot saj for around 2 minutes or until the down side is done.
- repeat until the balls are finished making sure to get rid of the extra flour on the saj.
- Place the loafs into a baking tray and place under the oven burner until the loafs are golden brown. set aside.
Back to the chicken:
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook until done.
- Move from the excess liquid and roast until golden brown.
Bringing all together:
- Add the excess liquid from the chicken over the onion mix.
- In a serving tray, Add some oil from the onion mix.
- Place a bread loaf.
- Spread some of the onion mix.
- sprinkle 1/4 of the sumac and 1 cup of pine nuts. repeat until done.
- place the tray in the oven for 5 minutes, so the bread absorb the oil.
- Place the chicken over the bread.
- Enjoy with all of your senses.