Myulchi Bokkeum is one of the most basic banchan in a classic Korean meal. Perfectly chewy and crispy anchovies with balance of salty and sweet taste, a great item in children’s lunchboxes.
- For the glaze:
Step by Step method
- Take out the gut and the head – hold the head with one hand and twist it off gently and most likely the gut will come off with the head.
- In a bowl, add soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, water, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Cut shishito peppers into bite size pieces.
- Brown ginger in oil (2 min or so) over medium heat. The essence of ginger will get infused into the oil which will take away any fishy smell from the anchovies.
Add The Anchovies:
- Add dried anchovies and sliced peppers to the hot ginger oil and saute for 3-4 minutes until they are slightly browned.
- This step is very important. Make sure you saute enough until the anchovies are well browned before going to the next step.
- Lower the heat and add the soy sauce glaze to the pan.
- Stir for about 2 min. until the anchovies are evenly glazed with the sauce.
- Drizzle the maple syrup and stir for another 1 – 2 min until the anchovies are well coated and has a sheen to them.
- Turn off the heat. Finish the dish by drizzling some sesame oil.