Egg-Stuffed Potatoes is renowned in Somalia as Nafaqo which means ‘nutrition’. It is commonly served as a snack and sometimes for breakfast. In some parts of Somalia, ground beef is used in place of the potatoes, similar to Scotch eggs.
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
- Wash potatoes and place in a pot.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil over a high heat.
- turn the heat to low and cook until tender. Do not overcook! set aside to cool down.
- Peel and mash them gently. Over-mashing will make them gluey.
- Add the Xawaash bouillon (or Xawaash spice mix & salt), ground black pepper, turmeric and flour.
- Mix gently and divide into 5 portions.
- Dust your hands with flour.
- Take a portion of the mixture and flatten it.
- Place a hard-boiled egg in the middle.
- Fold the mixture around the egg to make an oblong shape.
- Roll it in the flour.
- Fry over medium heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel and enjoy!