Wheat berries are the whole grain form of wheat - the whole, complete grain before it has undergone any processing. They're a high-fiber whole grain that can be used much like any other whole grain. Check out this tasty oriental recipe of wheat berries that you will absolutely love it.
1. Soak the wheat berries overnight in water to cover. Drain the next morning.
2. Combine the wheat berries with 3 cups of fresh water; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until the skins split. Drain.
4. In the same pot heat the milk with the honey, cinnamon or piece of cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Gently heat until the spices start to become fragrant.
5. Remove pan from the burner and stir in the vanilla extract and orange flower water.
6. Stir in the cooked wheat berries and heat through if necessary, or spoon a serving of the wheat berries into a bowl and pour milk all around.
7. Garnish the wheat berries with diced apple, powdered sugar or a drizzle of honey and almonds or walnuts.