Patates Püreli Tas Kebabı is a moist meat sauteed with tomato, garlic and onions, topped with buttery mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. what could you need better than an easy delicious satisfying dish for your lunch or dinner!
- Mashed Potatoes:
- Tas Kabab:
Saturated Fat (g)
Trans Fat (g)
Total Fat (g)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Vitamin A (RAE)
Vitamin C (mg)
Vitamin D (μg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Riboflavin (B2) (mg)
Vitamin B6 (mg)
Vitamin B12 (mg)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Step by Step method
- Slice potatoes into circular discs.
- In a medium sized pot add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a aoil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are softened. You can check with a fork or sharp knife.
- Drain the water and return the potatoes back to the pot.
- Mash potatoes (while still hot) using a potato masher.
- Add butter, milk, and, seasoning and beat with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are fully incorporated and the consistency is smooth and runny. (We're looking for a runny consistency because as the potatoes cool, they will get thicker).
- Cool completely before piping on top of meat; occasionally, beat the potatoes with a wooden spoon to speed up the cooling process.
- Set aside until needed.
- Heat oil in a large shallow pan over a high heat.
- Add the meat and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until the meat is browned all over.
- Add onion and saute for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the seasoning and half a cup of hot water.
- When the water boils, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes, or until meat is softened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
- Check on the meat occasionally; if the water has reduced, add the other half cup of water. (The meat should be juicy but not watery like stew; add extra water only if needed).
- Once cooked, move away from heat.
- Put all the meat into a square 8 x 8inch (20 x 20cm) baking dish.
- Pipe the mashed potatoes into a decorative swirls on top of the meat; you can also just spread the potatoes on top and give it some texture with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of mashed potatoes are slightly browned and crusty.
- Take photos and share your tasty experience with us.
Tips & variations
You can use a tablespoon of butter instead of the olive oil.
This dish can be made with cubed lamb or veal.
If you like spicy food, you can use a hotter pepper. If not, you can use a sweet pepper.
Initially the meat is sautéed on high heat; this allows the meat to release and reduce it's juices rapidly preventing the meat from being rubbery.
You can share this recipe, download it or bookmark this page to return to it easily.