Instead of the usual rice and stew, rice is sometimes cooked and simmered with a variety of meats and vegetables in one pot, collectively called Timman Tacheena. It is a very convenient dish, usually served with yogurt and salad, an ideal meal for hot summer days.
Step by Step method
- In a medium skillet, heat oil, and saute meat cubes, stirring frequently until all moisture evaporates, and meat starts to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add onion, and stir until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking stir in mushroom, curry powder,noomi Basra, turmeric, salt, pepper,baharat, and parsley.
- The mixture will emit a wonderful aroma.
- Cook white rice as directed in the recipe, and immediately empty it into a bowl.
- Then in the same rice pot, layer rice with the meat mixture, starting and ending with rice (i.e. rice--meat--rice--meat--rice--meat--rice).
- Cover the pot and resume simmering on low heat for additional 10 minutes.