Sip on this Middle Eastern soulful tomato and lentil soup to warm up on cold winter mornings. Thickly pureed tomatoes and lentils lend a thicker body to the soup. A hearty, simple to make, and bursting with flavor recipe that will melt your heart away!
1. In a large saucepan, add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a small frying pan. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender and slightly browned.
3. When lentils have cooked, add onions, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
4. Add stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, then cover. Turn heat down to low and allow to cook 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
5. To serve, garnish with a pinch of fresh parsley and serve hot.
Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol since it contains high levels of soluble fiber. Lowering your cholesterol levels reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke by keeping your arteries clean.
Insoluble dietary fiber found in lentils helps prevent constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
Although lentils include all these beneficial nutrients like fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins, they are still low in calories and contain virtually no fat.