Check out this delicious authentic loaf that can be frozen and could be a great way to serve till the last minute guests. Or simply you can enjoy this bread as part of a meze style meal.
1. Mix the sponge ingredients, except the flour together and set aside until foamy, about 15 minutes.
2. Add the flour and combine well.
3. Cover with a tea-towel or loosely with plastic wrap and set aside overnight. Don’t cover the sponge tightly because the air inside with become anoxic and the yeast will die.
4. The following day, mix the second lot of yeast, water and honey/sugar together until foamy then add the remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds or nigella seeds and egg then knead until the dough is smooth and very elastic.
5. Add more flour if the dough is too wet. It should be slightly damp but silky smooth. About 20 Minutes.
6. Once the dough is the right consistency, ball up and place in an oiled bowl covered with a tea-towel or loosely with plastic wrap for 3+ hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
7. Punch down the dough then kneed again for another 10 minutes or so.
8. Divide into six pieces and roll out to the desired shape, quite thinly and put on a greased baking tray and put in a warm place for an hour or more until the dough has risen significantly.
9. Pre-heat your oven to 250ºC.
10. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle over the sesame or nigella seeds.
11. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden.