Windbeutel (Cream Puffs) are hollow inside and therefore an ideal pastry for filling. They are similar to Éclairs except round in shape without the chocolate glaze on top and are made from the same type 'cooked dough'. You can prepare them with a savoryor sweet filling, they are great for parties. Store bought Cream Puffs come pre-filled but if you make them yourself you can put inside anything you wish!
- The Dough:
Step by Step method
- Bring water, salt and butter to a boil (and optionally sugar) in a narrow medium sized pot and remove immediately from heat.
- Add the sieved flour to the hot water all at once, stir until smooth.
- Return to stove on low heat, continue stirring until mixture forms a large clump and doesn't cling to the sides of the pot.
- On the bottom of the pot the dough should have formed a white 'skin'.
- Remove the dough mixture from stove and add the eggs, one at at time while stirring to combine them.
- The dough has to be smooth and glossy and when it falls off the spoon form long, 'peaks'.
- You can add sieved baking powder to the cooled mixture at this point if dough appears to firm and stir to combine it well.
- Make walnut size balls using a tablespoon or piping bag for Éclairs (2-3 inch lines) on a butter greased and floured cookie sheet making sure the distance between each is large enough because Windbeutel or Éclairs will double in size.
- Preheat the oven on (410-430°F)
- Bake on medium or lower rack for about10 - 45 minutes depending on size.
- Protect Windbeutel from any drafts and cut them open in half while they are still hot.
- Windbeutel or Éclairs should be light and hollow inside.
Let them cool and fill with sweetened whipped cream and dust with powdered sugar.
Tips & variations
Measure and weigh all ingredients carefully !
If using small eggs, add one more so in this recipe 5.
Do not open oven in the first half time of baking because the dough is sensitive to cold drafts!
If necessary 5 minutes can be added to the baking time after turning off the oven and open the oven door.
Alternatively you can fill tehem with a simple vanilla cream or a refined vanilla cream