Grape leaves stuffed with vegetarian mix and cooked in a sour tangy sauce. served cold as an appitizer.
- Prepare Grape leaves:
Step by Step method
Prepare Grape leaves:
- cut the stems and arrange on top of each other.
- Dip in boiling water for 5 minutes ( remove it once their color changes).
- Dip in cold water and drain.
- Saute onion with olive oil. Do not let it turn to yellow.
- Add tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add parsley and rice.
- Add pomegranate molasses.
- Add salt, pepper, allspice.
- mix well and cook for 5 minutes over medium - low heat.
- set aside to cool.
- place one leaf on a board. smooth side down.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of stuffing horizantally on the top and keep a good margins.
- Fold the sides over the stuffing.
- Roll like a Cigar.
- Place potato on the bottom of a large pot.
- Arrange stuffed leaves on top ( they have to settled and attached... dont give them the chance to move dear!).
- Mix salt, water, black pepper, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture over the leaves.
- Add water to cover the leaves.
- Place a ceramic plate (an oven plate and should be a little bit smaller than the pot) over the leaves.
- Cover the pan, bring to boil over a high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour.
- Taste one, if its still need more cooking then keep it for more time (Add more water if needed).
- When its done, set aside to cool.
- Arrange in a serving plate and decorate with lemon widges and potato slices.
Tips & variations
If you are using jar preserved grape leaves, dip it in the hot water only for 1 or 2 minutes just to get rid of all preservatives and extra salt.
You can store extra leaves in the freezer in a dark bags.