Stuffed Tomato with a mixture of rice, meat and herbs, and baked allowing the stuffing to absorb the tomato juice and all the flavors.
Step by Step method
- Wash tomatoes and cut the top portion.
- Remove pulp with a melon baller or a paring knife and teaspoon.
- Make sure to take enough pulp out so that there is 1/4 of inch left on all sides of the tomato.
- Save pulp. Turn each tomato upside down on a paper towel.
- Saute onion and minced garlic in some oil until translucent.
- Add meat and cook until it turns brown.
- Add 1 cup of chopped tomato pulp including some of the juice.
- Season with salt and pepper an cook uncovered until the meat cooks all the way through and the juices completely evaporate.
- Fine chop parsley and mint.
- Add parsley, mint, tarragon, green onions, and Advieh to the meat. Mix well.ee
- Add rice and once again mix well.
- Make sure to check seasoning at this point and adjust as needed.
- Cook for a couple of minutes longer.
- Season the inside of each tomato with some salt. Don’t skip this step, it totally makes a huge difference taste wise!
- Evenly devide the stuffing between the four tomatoes pressing down so that it all fits.
- Sprinkle a touch of salt on the tops and place on each corresponding tomato.
- Line an ovenproof dish with parchment paper, lightly spray with oil, and arrange tomatoes in the dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes.
- That’s all there is to this recipe, pretty simple and very delicious!!!
Tips & variations
Advieh (persian spices) is a mix of (1 teaspoon(cinnamon, nutmeg, rose petals, cardamom) and 1/2 teaspoon cumin)